Southwestern Centre for Research and PhD Studies (PhD Centre) was set up in 2010 as part of the endeavours of nationally and internationally recognized scholars, researchers, intellectuals and development experts, who will constitute its faculty with a commitment to reconstruct and socially transform society in Nepal and thereby around the world through academic and development endeavours built on the long journey of rural reconstruction. Since its inception, the Centre has been actively engaged in connecting researchers globally through joint research, conferences/workshops on burning issues, training, publishing journal articles, and networking/partnering with various universities (both national and international), government agencies, and other development agencies
One of the major aims of the Centre is to fulfil the country’s need of qualified and competent PhD graduates. The Centre motivates PhD scholars from Nepal and abroad to pursue their study. As the Centre has close formal connections with Universities across the globe, it is connecting scholars to recognized/renowned universities. The Centre has created learning environment for scholars to continue their academic activities in their respective areas and has facilitated to fulfil the Universities requirements and timeline. The Centre is neither a funding nor a university branch; it rather encourages potential and registered candidates and coachesthem through suitable research and other training programmes. The Centre provides quality support to the PhD scholars through peer and mentor support. It also supports individuals to become professionals or leaders in their respective disciplines. It follows philosophy of adult learning approach. The Centre coachesits scholars on identifying topic and developing concept, synopsis, conceptual framework, and finalization of thesis. The Centre also provides support to develop article, book and thesis as per the requirements.
PhD Centre contributes to critical thinking to provide innovative solutions for various agencies actively involved in development by teaching, learning, research and interventions with emerging ideas that shape academia and policy discourse around the globe. It recognizes that while there are so many organizations involved in the development processes, there is an inadequate discussion to re-shape development discourse guided by emerging research-based findings. Hence development should be a part of ongoing discourse to address global issues when we have sprawling urbanization, alarming pollution, climate change with an adverse impact on the distribution of development dividends.
This strategic planning process was initiated on Jan. 4, 2019 in order to strengthen PhD Centre. Since this strategic plan is a living document, it will change over time. It offers a common framework and flexible guide to decision-makers across the Institution and, as such, it should foster greater coherence, coordination, and unity across the departments. For the longer term, this strategic planning process serves in order to develop itself as a vibrant Institution with a forward-looking, inspirational roadmap for the PhD Centre’s future beyond Nepal.
VISION, MISSION, and GOAL
Be the centre of reference for quality academic and applied research.
To facilitate excellent academic research, conduct innovative applied research, and as a Think-Tank, contribute towards knowledge-based policy making for development.
To assist PhD and other doctoral scholars to carry out high quality academic research; conduct applied research on contemporary issues, provide support in policy and planning, and develop quality human resources.
The objectives focus on PhD study, research and training activities. They are as follows:
- Facilitate to enrol, educate, and graduate the most deserving, promising scholars to pursue PhD study,
- Conduct academic and applied research for the transformation of the communities,
- Develop leadership capacity in research through training; and
- Build awareness on the importance of PhD study.
Core values are defined as our commitments that express “who we are as an institution” and what principles or qualities should infuse all practices and activities within the institution. The nature and implicit values of PhD Centre are supported by four fundamental pillars:
- Commitment for promoting critical thinking, learning, and action;
- Commitment for innovation and entrepreneurship, which implies for creative collaborations;
- Commitment on diversity and inclusion.
- Commitment for outreach through public engagement that emphasises proactive actions to generate positive public impact.
Our commitments have following core values:
- Be a collaborative and caring community, helping to build compassionate civilisation.
- Knowledge creation should benefit the world.
- PhD centre is accessible and affordable to all who meet high academic standards.
- Promote inclusive approach and support to all aspects of society including marginalized community.
- Be optimistic to the future and seek knowledge and intellectual.
- Sustain excellence in teaching, research, and public engagement and reward and recognize merit, creativity, and innovation. Create an environment in which learning can be collaborative and fun.
- Promote cross-cultural and cross-national understandings. Embrace difference and diversity.
- We treat all individuals with dignity, respect, and fairness.