Before you start thinking about obtaining PhD you need to consider the following points:
• Where you will study?
• Your area of specialization
• At which institution will you study?
• Your Doctoral supervisor(s)
• The resources you will need to complete your studies
• Funding for your studies.
A PhD is not just a simple degree. It is a project that requires constant planning. In order for it to be successful you need to have a flexible schedule that will be subject to continuous adjustment and revision. The PhD requires management of time, skills, money, intellectual property and the project itself.
We look for candidates who:
• have a solid preparation for advanced study through prior academic training and/or significant, relevant work experience, often at senior levels,
• appreciate the challenges of and gains to be achieved from intensive scholarship, and striving for excellence in their work, and
• have developed a feasible and well-scoped plan for their doctoral thesis.
At present most of the scholars are admitted in various Indian Universities, but we also provide support to our scholars to get admitted in TU or KU. The Centre also helps scholars if they like to join universities in other countries such as USA, UK, Australia, South Korea etc.
PhD Centre provides the following kinds of support to its PhD students. Students may choose one of the three options.
A. Getting complete counseling and admission only. The student will be supported only to get admission and after that s/he may join services from the PhD Centre.
B. Supporting the students during the entire process until they complete their
C. Participating as a member of the PhD Centre (on an annual basis). Anyone who is pursuing PhD study at any other University in Nepal or abroad on their own may also join the PhD Centre as a member. The member can access all the facilities like the regular students of the Centre.
Southwestern Centre for PhD Studies provides the following kinds of support to its students and regular members:
1. Facilitating students’ admission to University.
2. Forwarding documents and fees to the University on time.
3. Working as a liaison for the proposal/project to get approval from the University.
4. Providing model questions and coaching for exam preparation.
5. Informing students about the rules and regulations of the University.
B. Orientation and Coaching
1. Organizing an orientation on the PhD process locally.
2. Requesting the University to send concerned supervisors/officials to Nepal for conferences/seminars.
3. Guidance on research methodology and SPSS.
4. Organizing seminars and special classes on every fortnight at the PhD Centre learning centre.
5. Requesting the University to provide an appropriate supervisor for its students.
6. Facilitating for conflict management if it arises during PhD study.
7. Assisting its students in obtaining quality literature for the review.
C. Academic Supports
1. Supporting to organize conference, interactions and meeting with concerned stakeholders as part of the PhD program.
2. Providing a mini library facility.
3. Finding appropriate sites for field visits.
4. Providing general support with data collection and analysis, report preparation and editing and review.
D. Logistic Supports
1. Guiding students in getting to the University
2. Arranging transportation, accommodation, food and other logistics for the University visit and work.
3. Giving students access to a yahoo group to facilitate joint learning.
4. Coordinating group work and visit.
5. Providing working space with computer and internet facility for carrying out research work.
6. Supporting secretarial work such as photocopying, report binding etc. on cost sharing basis.
E. National and Global Relationship Building
1. Encouraging students to be the part of national and international networks.
2. Encouraging students to submit their findings to national and international seminars.
3. Helping students to publish articles in international and national journals and indices.
4. Providing access to the libraries of reputed Universities.
F. Follow Up to Complete PhD Study
1. Facilitating the quality research to maintain the integrity of the University, facilitators and students.
2. Providing students with the support they need to succeed.
3. Informing students in a timely manner about the deadlines of their research work.